The Spellplague was a disaster that struck the Realms on 29th Tarsakh, the Year of Blue Fire, 1385 DR. It was caused by Mystra’s assassination at the hands of Cyric and Shar. With the goddess’s death, the Weave, the universal structure of arcane forces, convulsed. It continued for a decade, leading to the Wailing Years, during which arcane magic ceased to function and the planet of Toril was transformed.
Effects of the Spellplague
Effects on arcane magic
- Despite the efforts, with the structure of magic out of balance, many spells failed or produced unreliable results.
- Most permanent magical items, such as artifacts, were left intact at the end of the Spellplague but charged magical items were either destroyed, warped, or simply ceased to function. Items with dormant magical qualities, which were manually activated, were largely unaffected by the Spellplague.
- The Spellplague affected the landscape, making the ground rumble and heave up and down like the surface of the sea. Curtains of blue flame swept the landscape, reshaping the land by cutting crevasses or lifting and sculpting the plain into hills and ridges.
- Waves of azure fires appeared everywhere, killing whatever they touched.
- A surge in the use of technology, divine magic, and worship of the Deities of Knowledge and Invention.
- Political upheaval across the land that resulted in many attempted coups, invasions, and uprisings. Especially against governments, and nations that had relied heavily on arcane magic for defense or controlling their population.
- Parts of Abeir and Toril switched planes, swapping Maztica and the continent of Laerakond, which became known as “Returned Abeir.”
- Mulhorand was completely destroyed, and the Mulhorandi pantheon disappeared. The land was later settled by Deep Imaskari and became the empire of High Imaskar.
- Unther was obliterated when a fragment of the dragonborn nation of Tymanchebar was transplanted from Abeir onto it, eventually becoming the realm of Tymanther.
- Chult became a large island.
- Halruaa was destroyed and turned into a land full of rampant spellplague.
- The Shaar became a wasteland called the Shaar Desolation.
- The region surrounding the Great Rift collapsed into the Underdark, creating an enormous cataract in the earth called the Underchasm.
- The halfling realm of Luiren was completely submerged underwater, becoming the Gulf of Luiren in the Great Sea.
- Lantan was hit by massive waves and flooded, killing all of its inhabitants. However the nation had resource camps in other locations, namely Chult, so not all Lantanese citizens and technology may have perished along with the actual island.
- The peninsula known as Var the Golden became a region of the Great Sea called Var the Drowned.